[Inpycon] Sponsorships for 2011

Ramdas S ramdaz at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 07:31:36 CET 2011

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 11:47 AM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings all,
>        I just got a mail from a "reputable foreign company" telling me
> that they're interested in sponsoring PyCon 2011 asking me for our
> sponsorship information. They're allocating their budgets and want to
> reserve some money for the conference here.
>
>        I think this is our cue to get our act together and
> "start". I've forwarded the email to Kausik.
>
>        Let's get some ideas of overall expenses and budgets right away
> so that we can get some ideas on how we want to do this.
>
>        Here are the things that will add to our expenses (from the last
> 2 years) in decreasing order of amount
>        - Foreign delegates (approx 1.5L for someone from North America)
>        - T-shirts
>        - Food
>        - A/V
>        - Wifi infrastructure (let's outsource this to a professional
>          this time)
>        - Venue (if we're plannnig to go for a paid place)
>
>        This year, we can stretch a little and maybe do print ads in
> the appropriate magazines and newspapers.

I'd suggest not spend much money on promotion and instead do these two
activities

For an event with some FOSS touch best would be barter...

I think some of the leading IT magazines will be interested in being a media
partner, which means you dont pay for advertisements. They will get a logo.
It may not be much, but this is what everyone basically does these days. The
magazine guys can be provided a table and chair to display their magazines.

Also if someone can take pains contact naukri.com and other job sites, and
ask them to send an e-mail inviting just about everyone who has shown Python
as a skillset, there were some 12k odd resumes if I remember right. We can
give the job site a logo on the site, banner T Shirt etc. If they can do
multiple mails as a co-sponsor, it would really add value...

Trust me this would give us  a very good coverage, more than any
advertisement in any daily newspaper...

A decent newspaper ad in Hindu (which's the leading daily in Chennai) will
cost you a bomb ( 1 L upwards). Instead please use that money to sponsor
some Python evangelism exercises or provide better food.

> We might also be able to
> arrange limited accommodation for people from outside the city where
> it's conducted on a first come first serve basis.
>
>        So, let's get started!
>
> Thanks

Ramdas S
+91 9342 583 065