[Inpycon] Speaker Compensation

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 07:54:32 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 10:45 AM, Ramdas S <ramdaz at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 9:13 AM, Harshad Oak <harshad at rightrix.com> wrote:
>
>> With reference to mail below, please let me know what our policy on
>> speaker compensation is. I think we should have a page on the site that we
>> can point to in response to such a query.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Harshad.
>>
>> - I have deleted the sender's name for privacy.
>>

> I guess we will have several cases like this. I am all for helping people
> who really want to attend.
>
> But this could also trigger hundred such applications, and with all respect
> and concern for the genuinely interested students, you have no way of
> verifying the ingenuity of these applications, and we need a volunteer to
> check and verify, and approve. In addition there could also be some
> applications where a student may be looking for a free joy ride or excursion
> to Pune. How do you decide?

 I agree we need to be careful in vetting applications, but that shouldn't
prevent us
 from creating a limited fund pool from which to sponsor 'n' number of
students
 their travel and stay expenses (minus food) considering it falls within a
certain
 pre-determined amount (could vary per city, but with an upper ceiling).

 It might be a bit too late right now to come up with an official policy for
 this Pycon, however, I would still suggest we go ahead and fund a limited
 number of students and put the larger question of formalizing this
 to a later stage. Still we can continue to have discussions meanwhile.

> There's a thread discussing this and the general consensus is that student
> speakers whose talk is selected will get sponsored. The exact sponsorship ie
> travel and lodging charges is not arrived yet.

--Anand