[Inpycon] Talk Selection

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 15:46:01 CEST 2011

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 6:57 PM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 6:49 PM, Anand Balachandran Pillai
> <abpillai at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >       We have got a pretty good response this year
> > as well - 54 unique submissions so far (59 minus test talks
> > and duplicates), with 2 more days to go!
> >
> >     This year we have 45 min talks and I would prefer
> > to have the session last 1 hour so that there is ample
> > time to deliver the talk plus take questions at the end.
> >
> > Assuming we start at 10.00 every day and end at 5
> > and leaving the lunch hour, that gives us 6 hours in a day.
> > Again assuming we want to have talks only for half
> > a day in the last day (valid ?), that gives a total of
> > 15 hours for the 3 days.
>
> We can keep the last day full. I don't think there's any point in
> making it a half day.
>
> 1 hour is too much for a single talk. Doesn't the 45 minutes include
> question time?
>
> Also, you need to put in 10 minutes extra *after* the talk for people
> to decompress and go to other halls. We don't have anyone sponsoring
> the teleporters this time either. You'll have to factor this into your
> calculations. I think 55 minutes per talk is a good number.
> 45 minutes to talk and 10 to switch rooms.

 It becomes a bit ugly on the scheduling side when you divide
 on minutes which aren't multiples of a quarter of an hour. With
 this logic,

 First talk  - 10:00 - 10:55
 2nd  talk  - 10:55 -  11:50
 3rd talk   -  11:50 - 12:45

 Lunch  -  1:00 - 2:00
 4th talk - 2:00 - 2:55
 5th talk - 2:55 - 3:50
 6th talk - 3:50 - 4:45

 Doable, but looks kind of ugly to me. Also we aren't gaining anything
 by saving that 5 minutes - in total we save 30 minutes for the day,
 which isn't enough to squeeze another talk, unless we decide to
 go till 5:30pm - which I don't think is a great idea from past
 experiences - people are already losing steam by 5pm.

 I would rather have this,

 1st talk - 10:00 - 11:00
 2nd talk - 11:00 - 12:00
 3rd talk - 12:00 - 12:50  (10 minus less to prepare for lunch, people who
                                        are interested can sacrifice time to
ask questions
                                        in favor of a quick lunch)

lunch  - 1:00 - 2:00pm

 4th talk - 2:00 - 3:00
 5th talk - 3:00 - 4:00
 6th talk - 4:00 - 5:00

Doesn't it look neater  and better to manage ?

> [..]
>

> --
> ~noufal
> http://nibrahim.net.in