[Inpycon] Talk Selection

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 17:50:23 CEST 2011

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 9:07 PM, Dhananjay Nene <dhananjay.nene at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 6:58 PM, Sreekanth S Rameshaiah <sree at mahiti.org>wrote:
>

>> On 8 July 2011 18:49, Anand Balachandran Pillai <abpillai at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>       We have got a pretty good response this year
>>> as well - 54 unique submissions so far (59 minus test talks
>>> and duplicates), with 2 more days to go!
>>>
>>>     This year we have 45 min talks and I would prefer
>>> to have the session last 1 hour so that there is ample
>>> time to deliver the talk plus take questions at the end.
>>>
>>> Assuming we start at 10.00 every day and end at 5
>>> and leaving the lunch hour, that gives us 6 hours in a day.
>>> Again assuming we want to have talks only for half
>>> a day in the last day (valid ?), that gives a total of
>>> 15 hours for the 3 days.
>>>
>>> So the total number of talks we want to accept with
>>> this calculation becomes.
>>>
>>> 15*(number of halls).
>>>
>>> If we have 3 halls in all we can accept around 30 talks
>>> (2 halls for talks) plus roughly 5-6 tutorials considering
>>> 3 hrs per tutorial.
>>>
>>> I suggest sticking to 2 tracks ( 2 halls) + one tutorial hall.
>> This way some filtration of talks will happen and overall quality will
>> improve.
>>

> Also @ 5:30 every day we should have couple pre-planned BOF  thats anchored
>> by one seasoned subject expert!
>>
>> That probably will also be what the capacities will allow. We have access
> to two large halls and classrooms / labs for BOFs / tutorials.  (referring
> back to http://mail.python.org/pipermail/inpycon/2011-April/004360.htmlfor capacities).

 Shall we then assume 2 parallel talk tracks in the 2 halls ?
 Considering we have more than 1 room for tutorials,
 can we think of running 2 parallel tutorial tracks ?

 I think Noufal's suggestion of 1st day being marked for
 tutorials is a good idea. But in that case we need more than
 1 room for running say 6-7 tutorials in 1 day.

 Assuming 2 halls for 2 days I will pick 15*2 => 30
 plus a few stand-by talks from the proposals (to allow
 for cancellations, which always happens) and around
 5-6 tutorials.

 Does that sound OK ?

>> - sree
>>
>> --