[Inpycon] Talk Selection

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 18:12:05 CEST 2011

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 9:25 PM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:

> Anand Balachandran Pillai <abpillai at gmail.com> writes:
>

> [...]
>
> > Just figured out this will be 12*2 => 24 talks according to my
> > calculation if we slot the first day only for tutorials. That is
> > on the lower side considering the # of submissions.
> >
> > We would want to have around 30-35 talks ideally so
> > we will need either to have 3 talk tracks (2 halls plus 1 room ?)
> > allowing to run a 3rd talk track in the last 2 days ,
> >
> > or,
> >
> > We might want to have some of these talks scheduled
> > the first day as well.
> >
> > I pick the first option.
>
> [...]
>
> I pick the first option too but you should really go through the talk
> list to see if there are enough *good* talks to fill the slots. 24
> *good* talks is better than 24 good ones and 10 mediocre ones.

You have a point. I have already gone through all talks and formed
a rough idea in my mind. However I quickly scanned the list
just now again with a rather good-very good filter in my mind
and I actually came up with exactly 24 talks :)

> A lot of people complained on twitter (and to me personally) about talk
> quality so it's something we should take seriously.

Yes - we should take care to filter bad talks of course, but
need to balance it out with the fact that we need to give
students a chance, so if you ask me it is a kind of "necessary evil"
to pick a few among the low grade talks - not many so as to
spoil the broth, but just a few.

> --
> ~noufal
> http://nibrahim.net.in
>
> If I could drop dead right now, I'd be the happiest man alive! -- Samuel
> Goldwyn

--Anand