[Inpycon] Startup Row: Eligibility Criteria

Ankur Gupta versesane at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 19:42:23 CEST 2012

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 8:19 PM, kausikram krishnasayee <kausikram at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 8:11 PM, kausikram krishnasayee <
> kausikram at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What Constitutes an Eligible Startup ? The discussions so far has yielded:
>>
>> 2) Should Be Less than  3 years old.
>>
> I Personally feel that we shouldnt be looking at the age of a startup,
>> there are many startups out there which have been in existence for well
>> over a decade, but which has had its moment of calling in the form of a
>> product, only recently. We should rather look at the Age of the product
>> that is being portrayed

I disagree with that strongly. Age of the company is important as it's in
the initial days that a founders needs a platform to reach out to say
customers, potential employees or just help get awareness/feedback. Have
all and sundry irrespective of age be allowed is a bad idea. A decade old
company with a new product coming out should theoretically have better
financial means then a no revenue startup.

> 3) No service startups.
> I know that service companies play a huge role in the python ecosystem in
> India. However it will be extremely tough to choose one service company
> over the other. It would be easier to choose startups based on tangible
> products that have been built out of python. Helps in maintaining a certain
> amount of objectivity.

+1 to this. I think we should restrict it to startup doing product
development with the product being it's own rather then product outsourcing
for e.g. companies like persistent systems, xoriant etc do this.

Regards
Ankur

/Kausik

Homepage -> http://uptosomething.in