[Inpycon] Draft of the CFP and Proposed Dates for the Talks

Anand Chitipothu anandology at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 10:59:01 CEST 2012

>> > 2. If someone selects "I am proposing for someone else to speak ..."
>> > shouldn't it ask for the Name/Email of that person ? Right now it
>> > would get submitted as a proposal by this person. Maybe a couple
>> > of input elements for the name/email ?
>>
>> That is not the intention. It is for people to propose talks for some
>> random person to take up.
>>
>> For example, I could propose a talk "distributed crawling with Python"
>> for someone else to speak and you can signup for that by responding in
>> the comments.
>
>  I am not sure we want these kind of talks. I had thought the idea
> here was I propose a talk on behalf of a known person perhaps after
> discussing the idea with him. I submit it on his behalf because he might
> be busy or doesn't want to be bothered with submission details.
>
> This seems to the case that I "think" a talk on the topic T would be
> nice-to-have so I am proposing it, hoping someone would take it
> up on himself to actually deliver it.
>
> Such submissions can cause confusion if not taken up and impact
> the review process and timelines. I propose to remove the option
> entirely.

Fine with me. Will remove it.

>> > 3. Objective - Seems like a new field. Intention is good, however
>> > it should be positioned down, after he enters the description etc.
>> > It is not in the order in which one thinks about his talk. If I were
>> > the speaker, I would first think title, outline, content and then
>> > any intended benefits. Since this would be at best 3-4 lines, keep
>> > the input textarea size smaller.
>>
>> It seems to be in the right order to me. Try reading one of the
>> proposed sessions in funnel.
>>

>> http://funnel.hasgeek.com/5el/366-the-elephant-that-flew-big-data-analytics-inmobi
>>
>> I'll try to reduce the size.
>

> The "Objective" here stands for our previous "Summary" element. To
> me it appeared as if "Why should someone attend this talk ?" . Anyway
> no issues.
>
>> > 5. Links text area is too big. Again WYSIWYG for bulleted/numbered
>> > links would be useful here.
>>
>> We can live with it.
>

> Maybe you don't even want it. Links can be entered in the description as
> well reducing the form fields.

Fine here too. Will remove it.

>> I don't think we have any information to prefill the form.
>

> The signup workflow included a form where it asked for my name
> and Bio and I entered "Python Programmer". Can't this be used to
> pre-fill ?

Could be possible, I don't think it is worth the trouble.

>> > 7. Fields for mobile phone number - Remember the hassles
>> > we had with this in 2010 for AWOL speakers ? We need the
>> > contact numbers - primary (required) and secondary (optional).
>>
>> In Funnel, all the data that is submitted is displayed. There is no
>> way to take a field and display only to admins.
>>

> Bug with funnel.
>

>> I think we can ask for their contact details when we send email when
>> talk is selected. I'm trying to avoid any additional work.
>>

> Hope it works. Maybe you can look for mobile numbers in the form
> validation code by looking for regexes and allow submission only
> if one is found ?

I agree that it would be good ask for mobile number, but considering
the amount of work involved in adding a new field to the form, I
suggest going ahead with the work around.

Also I don't think it is a good idea to ask people to put their mobile
number in the fields displayed publicly.

>> The talk sumission form has been improved by HasGeek over time from
>> experience of running many conferences. Unless there is a strong
>> reason, I would prefer to continue with that form.
>

> Good Point. However, this is one more conference that is using the form,
> and as they have improved it with experience, I think any feedback here
> is valid as well in improving the form, correct ?  It is not correct to take
> the approach that this is set in stone and be not open to comments.

Sorry, if I sounded like that. It was not my intention to under-value
the experience of PyCon India and the form improvements that we've
done over years.

Keeping the time involved in making customizations to the form, I
would try to avoid adding any new fields. Removing or reordering
fields is not that hard.