[Inpycon] PyCon 2012 Planning Meeting Notes - 12 March

Dhananjay Nene dhananjay.nene at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 07:43:44 CET 2012

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 6:40 AM, Navin Kabra <navin at smriti.com> wrote:
[..snip..]

>    - Should we have an semi-independent workshop for Python beginners?
>    This need not necessarily be "Pycon" branded but the intention is to
>    increase the number of students and beginners who can attend Pycon and get
>    something useful out of it. Should this be on Wed/Thu, so out-of-towners
>    can attend, or should it be one or two weekends earlier so that people can
>    attend on a weekend. The former will have low attendance due to it being
>    during working days; the latter will be appropriate only for Pune local
>    people.
>    - Instead of 1 day of "tutorials" (which really turned out to be
>    workshops) and 2 days of the main conference, should we instead split it
>    into "Beginners" and "Advanced"? This will also allow us to split the venue
>    (see detailed discussion in the "PyCon 2012: Venue" thread on this topic.)
>
> Thoughts?

Remember that if we continue with Vishwabhavan, we will need to limit the
total delegate count to 700 (a number we almost hit last year before we
closed the registrations). If we want to go higher one option is to go out
of town like Lavale. The issue with this approach it is likely to
discourage many thus beating the very purpose we're trying to achieve. For
those who would still want to attend, transportation will be a massive and
expensive logistics undertaking which could be an interesting one for a
volunteer driven organisation like ours.

One way I think helps is to have additional parallel tracks in a location
close by. By introducing a beginners track (call it Pycon Lite?
#justkidding) at an alternative location (probably just 5 mins away but
logistically 15 mins given parking & walking time etc.) one can reach out
to a larger number of people (read: students, and people at early stages of
python) even though as would be obvious people won't be able to transition
between the tracks held across multiple locations. Note that this beginners
track is not meant as a replacement for something we did at earlier PyCons,
but rather as an additional track.

Dhananjay