[Inpycon] PyCon 2012 Planning Meeting Notes - 12 March

vijay vnbang2003 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 13 07:44:11 CET 2012

We need to even consider student who want to travel from other location . It will end up being to expensive for them to attend this .
Even professional( particularly beginner from startup)  will feel it too expensive to attend . We need to consider this aspect also.

________________________________
Sent: Tuesday, 13 March 2012 10:58 AM
Subject: Re: [Inpycon] PyCon 2012 Planning Meeting Notes - 12 March

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 6:40 AM, Navin Kabra <navin at smriti.com> wrote:

> Hence, it is suggested that this time, we should probably have Rs. 400 early
> bird (500 later) for students and something like Rs. 1500 early bird (1750
> later) for professionals. The total number of cheap tickets (Rs. 400/500
> ones) should be capped at a number like 300 or 350, and after those are
> over, everyone has to buy the more expensive one.

Is there a reason why InPyCon is not looking to charge more for early
bird tickets both for students and professionals ? For example, 600
(and, 800 later) for students and, 1800 (and, 2200 later) for
professionals. I ask this not to challenge the decision but as an
observation of the ticket prices of various conferences around Pune
and other cities. A flagship conference around Python, which is what
I'd like to think InPyCon is, has enough material to justify those
gate prices.

Again, please feel free to whack the above proposal away.

> Should we have tutorials on Sunday instead of Friday?

That would probably depend on the intended audience for the tutorials.
If these are participants who are professionals and are interested in
attending specific high-end tutorials, keeping them to a weekend will
probably see a higher chance of them being keen enough to sign up and
attend.

> Should we have an semi-independent workshop for Python beginners? This need
> not necessarily be "Pycon" branded but the intention is to increase the
> number of students and beginners who can attend Pycon and get something
> useful out of it. Should this be on Wed/Thu, so out-of-towners can attend,
> or should it be one or two weekends earlier so that people can attend on a
> weekend. The former will have low attendance due to it being during working
> days; the latter will be appropriate only for Pune local people.

Focusing on the local students may not be a bad idea at all. There's
much to do at the Pune and suburbs level and organizing a sort of
'preparatory' workshop before the event would probably do well.

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<http://sankarshan.randomink.org/blog>