[Inpycon] [PyCon 2013] Programming Challenges, Hackathons & Sprints, in Python at PyCon

Anand B Pillai anandpillai at letterboxes.org
Mon Jul 8 09:18:33 CEST 2013

On Monday 08 July 2013 12:33 PM, Noufal Ibrahim wrote:
> Kiran Gangadharan <kiran.daredevil at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>

> Nice but it requires more time than we have at the conference. This
> is something better suited for a user group "month" especially when
> people need hand holding.

+1. From my experience with contributing to and managing open source
projects, kickstarting a sprint towards a specific OSS project
needs early planning.

It is possible to however do an "Open Hackathon" based on topics
which are given out in the conf.

For example think of a workflow like,

1. We announce 3 open topics for small open hacks in Python
on day #1 - specific programming challenges.
2. You can hack till the 2nd day evening and submit by
a fixed time - full working code with README and docs.
3. We evaluate and announce the winners on day #3
and give some prizes - this can be sponsored.

I said "We" - but it can also be run by a sponsor.
I am not sure if there is bandwidth to plan and execute
this now, but would be nice to see something like this.

> [...]
Regards,

- --
-