[Inpycon] [PyCon 2013] Programming Challenges, Hackathons & Sprints, in Python at PyCon

pranjal mittal mittal.pranjal at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 09:19:39 CEST 2013

The effort required in organizing such an event is least as compared to the
other events. I mentioned earlier that even 1 or 2 students of a college
department are able to organize similar events easily with the help of good
open programming websites (without any cost).

Moreover, there are companies which are interested in taking the entire
responsibility of this event. Example: I had a discussion with Mr. Vivek
Prakash of HackerEarth, and they have submitted a very detailed idea of how
they are going to organize the event. (Mails directly sent to IPSS
coordinators).

*Salient points of the competition-*

   - A Completely Online Competition.
   - Held during a span of 1-3 days before the PyCon conference. (No clash
   of events)
   - Programming Language to be used - Only Python
   - Interested Audience - School / College Students
   - Minimal / No cost in organizing the event [1]
   - Prizes- PyCon Certificates, T-Shirts (Thats the only cost to PyCon)

[1] Company organizing the event has the privilege of being associated with
PyCon, which immensely helps in its brand-building; The company should not
charge a fee for organizing such an event; but associate with PyCon as a
partner.
In return PyCon can pass on the complete responsibility of the event to the
organizing company.

Benefits for the Python Society- There will be many students / individuals
who participate in this contest that makes PyCon & Python more popular.

*I would encourage the IPSS organizers to have a word with such interested
companies and sign some sort of a contract, to make this happen.
*Lets hope we do have a *PyCode* this year.*
It would really be great!**
*

Best Regards,
- Pranjal

> On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 1:41 AM, pranjal mittal <mittal.pranjal at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > It could be nice to organize Code-Sprints or Hackathons for developers by
> > associating with IT Companies & Open Source Communities. (3-4 dats of
> hack
> > with companies / orgs and their mentors during PyCon or after)
> > There could be some sort of Call for Sprints to encourage Companies or
> FOSS
> > communities to come and put forward mini-project ideas.
>
> What is the intended end-result of the above? As in, how will you
> determine that the effort going into organizing it has been well
> rewarded by the end-result?
>

> --
> sankarshan mukhopadhyay
> <https://twitter.com/#!/sankarshan>