[Inpycon] Minutes of the Python Month meeting

Anand Chitipothu anandology at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 13:34:43 CEST 2013

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 4:54 PM, konark modi <modi.konark at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> We had a meetup for NCR region, similar points were discussed there too,
> the others that were discussed were :
> 1. To motivate students, it is very necessary to discuss " Why python ? "
> . We need to prepare content for this.
> 2. Introduce them to various community resources, and helping hand which
> they can start using to adapt to Python after the workshop too. Like
> open-source projects, mailing lists, etc.
> 3. As we are approaching August, time is too less for content so we need
> to prepare it ASAP.
>
> For the PythonMonth in NCR region, we are planning to have the first
> workshop on 2ndAugst at IIC(South Campus). We need to be content ready
> before that.
>
> *For the IPython question* : IPython surely is one of the best ways to
> deliver a workshop, and sharing that becomes easy.I have personally used
> IPython both on Windows and Linux.
>
> For windows I used : Anaconda installer from Continuum Analytics(
> https://store.continuum.io/ ) . It comes with wide variety of packages(
> http://docs.continuum.io/anaconda/pkgs.html) in the installer.

While commercial distributions might have some benefits, I strongly suggest
that we introduce the standard Python distribution as that is the most
widely used distribution and the students should get used installing
packages using the standard tools like pip instead of some commercial
package managers.