[Inpycon] Students Day at Pycon

Anand Chitipothu anandology at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 10:40:54 CET 2013

On Friday, March 22, 2013, Abdul Muneer wrote:

> We can send notifications to schools and each school can nominate 2-3
> students (or any other fixed number), much like inviting participants for
> inter school quiz competition etc. We communicate with schools and get
> response from them. The school may notify among its students and choose
> among the interested students.
> The idea is to get a rough estimate of participants. If we just announce
> across schools but don't delegate students selection to them, we may not be
> able to get a count of participants.
> We will get a better participation if the schools find this interesting
> and prestigious event for their students.

I'm not sure if it a good idea. PyCon India is a conference for python
developers. I don't think we should reduce the standard of talks to attract
students. Even if we have a small session for students, I don't think we
should  give any certificates. IMHO certificates are meaningless. They try
to promote the wrong message that getting more certificates like these is
somehow valuable to them and their career.

Honestly, I feel most of the school students in Bangalore will not even
have a clue about Python. Raising awareness of Python might be a good idea,
but not at PyCon India.

This might be a good thing to do if we were running PyCon India in Kerala.
There Python is part of the school curriculum. May be in coming years?

http://anandology.com/