[Inpycon] Encouraging women developers to join PyCon

Bibhas Ch Debnath me at bibhas.in
Fri Mar 29 20:38:19 CET 2013

Hi everyone,

We have been talking about encouraging women to join PyCon and start
working on python. Why not take a step towards it? How about we decrease
ticket price to some amount or maybe waive it totally for them?

This could bring some questions like how'd we know that the ones joining
are bringing some value to the conference. Well, if more women are
attending, that's already a plus. To ensure even more, we could start a
program, like, ask them to create a github account, create 2-5 repo, show
us and they get a free ticker. Sounds odd and silly, but this will also
encourage them to start using git or any VCS. And this also shows us that
those participants actually made some effort to join the conference. They
are not just drove by the offer of freebies.

I haven't seen many girls take up the initiative to become a developer,
only couple of my college friends did. They have no one to encourage them
in becoming developers. So to do that, we might have to put some extra
manual effort. But it should be overall good for the community.

PS: Should have put the gender field in last year's feedback form. Could
get a statistic. This year will definitely do it.

----
Bibhas
http://bibhas.in