[Inpycon] PyCon India Website for 2014

Anand Chitipothu anandology at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 17:43:31 CEST 2013

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 8:29 AM, Annapoornima Koppad <a.koppad at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I have been very quiet for a while now for the reason that I was
> traveling. Now that I am in Bangalore again, I think its time I spoke.
>
> Regarding the website design, I think it should be handled by volunteers
> rather than design firm. For the only reason, we are trying to encourage a
> new breed of organizers who will in in turn take this forward. Since we are
> in early this time, we can have a choice. If nothing works out, the last
> option will be to run to design firm. The issue is not about money or
> putting a good facade for others to see, but to see local young talent get
> the opportunity to showcase their talent and get them involved. Imagine
> saying something, This entire design was done by self motivated volunteers.
> it may not be the best but it is our work. Wok that came out of passion.
>
> I am also suggesting that we keep the option open for running to a nearby
> design shop. Not to be wholly closed on that aspect either.
>
> So its +1 for vijay's idea.

I would really love if our community can handle the design completely by
volunteers. I've seen that idea repeatedly fail. Forget about design, I
called for help to improve the PyCon India website, created github issues
detailing each one, but haven't got much response.

Usually there'll be initial enthusiasm, but that dies out slowly.

Even if we take a professional help, there is a lot of volunteer work
involved in reviewing the design as it evolves, giving feedback, suggesting
alternatives etc. And someone from our side has to drive the whole thing.
Believe it is a lot of work even if we hire a professional designer.

We also need volunteers to:
* integrate the design into our website, writing code/templates to make all
things fit together.
* write the content on the website, plan how pages should be organized etc.

So, having more volunteers is always welcome and we have room for people
with artistic talent help even if we hire a designer.

Anand