[Inpycon] PyCon India Website for 2014

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at nibrahim.net.in
Tue Oct 22 18:12:18 CEST 2013

Annapoornima Koppad <a.koppad at gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> Regarding the website design, I think it should be handled by
> volunteers rather than design firm. For the only reason, we are trying
> to encourage a new breed of organizers who will in in turn take this
> forward.

Organising is a top level activity distinct from designing the website
which is something that can be delegated to volunteers or a design
firm.

> Since we are in early this time, we can have a choice. If nothing
> works out, the last option will be to run to design firm. The issue is
> not about money or putting a good facade for others to see, but to see
> local young talent get the opportunity to showcase their talent and
> get them involved.

I disagree.

The conference, atleast in my opinion, is not about showcasing local
young talent. It's about creating a space for Python developers in India
to meet, interact and hopefully work together on something
interesting. As organisers, I consider our role is to give people as
good an event as possible with good talks, excellent facilities (wifi,
food etc.), a comfortable environment, good workshops and an overall
good experience. To this end, I'd prefer that things be done by
professionals. Whether they're doing this as volunteers in the spirit of
the event or as a company is not relevant. The focus is on the quality.

The "branding" of the event is something that should be taken super
seriously if we want to attract the industry side of the community and
present a nice public image among other things. It's something I've been
pushing for and something which thankfully has become an important topic
early on.

The volunteer base should have the reigns in their hands and drive
everything but when there's a task that needs to be done, it's our
responsibility to make it happen in the best way possible. We, and other
events do this by using external services (e.g. doattend etc.).

> Imagine saying something, This entire design was done by self
> motivated volunteers. it may not be the best but it is our work. Wok
> that came out of passion.

I think I can best convey my point by comparing this to hiring a
caterer. If we had a volunteer passionate about cooking and we decided
to have them take care of the food instead of hiring a professional
caterer, I think it's a recipe (no pun intended) for disaster.

We need good food at the event because we owe that to the delegates. The
way to get good food is to hire a professional caterer. We (the
volunteers) do that and make sure that they deliver. Whether the
catering agency is someone already in the Python community and is
therefore willing to give us a discount or do it for free is a separate
issue.

> I am also suggesting that we keep the option open for running to a
> nearby design shop. Not to be wholly closed on that aspect either.

That's missing the point. I'm saying that we should get a really good
designer for the branding right away. If someone with a good track
record volunteers to do it, +1. Otherwise, we hire someone. I don't
think that "work which came out of passion" does anything if it is not
professional.

[...]

--
Cordially,