[Inpycon] Everybody Pays Policy

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at nibrahim.net.in
Thu Sep 26 08:48:06 CEST 2013

atul jha <koolhead17 at gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> Pycon is a community event not a event for profit.  Don`t blindly
> follow policies of other country things work differently here.

As somone who's been involved in organising this for a while, I'm not
"blindly" following anything. I genuinely think "everyone pays" is a
good idea regardless of who came up with it.

Also, we're not looking to generate profit but an event does have
costs. We want to cover those in a way that allows us freedom to conduct
the event as we wish.

To illustrate with an extreme case, if a sponsor said that they'd pay us
a crore for branding the conference with their name and giving them the
contact information of all the participation, we'd be able to to give
free entry to every delegate and do everything in style but we'd say no.

[...]

> Its organizers responsibility to not select freeloaders.

The devil is in the details.

If you have concrete suggestions on how to identify and weed out
freeloaders without destroying the volunteer base, please post them
here. Or better yet, pick up the job of volunteer coordinator. After
all, advice is cheap.

>> How difficult is it to pay cheques to speakers in that case?

Very very difficult. Like I said, the devil is in the details.

[...]

--
Cordially,
Noufal