[Inpycon] On using QR codes for sponsor-participant contact exchange.

Bibhas me at bibhas.in
Sat Aug 2 18:28:15 CEST 2014

On Saturday 02 August 2014 09:50 PM, Haris Ibrahim K. V. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry about the slight delay. Getting back to all the emails now.
>
> Bibhas, your idea of having stickers printed will make it easier to
> find and distribute the QR codes.
>
> Anand, even in the way you suggested, the technology involved will be
> the tablet scanning the QR code at the sponsor booth. So I guess the
> initial approach would work just as fine.
>
> However, as Bibhas suggested at the beginning, is there anything that
> is absolutely wrong with using the pen and paper approach? If that
> makes the lives of both parties easier, then the logical thing to do
> would be to go ahead with that. Is there a reason why we *have* to use
> contact exchange, QR code, bar code reader or things of the sort?
I think the only reason we'd absolutely *have to* use QR/bar code, is if
we promise the sponsors that we'll have such a system for them. If we
make it clear to the sponsors that we'll just ask the participants to go
ahead and write their contact number, and they are OK with it, I think
we can do it. After all they just want the contacts of the interested
people.
The only difference of using a pen-paper and a qr code kind of approach
I can think of is, the QR code decreases the time to take the decision
whether to share the contact or not. So with the QR code, more people
might actually share their contacts.
And if we're using QR code approach, we need to be clear to the
participants about what all the data we'll be sharing. That's actually a
negative point of the QR code approach. With pen and paper, only the
truly interested people would share their contacts.

Now we need to choose. :)