[Inpycon] Open spaces & Lightning Talks

Shrayas rajagopal shrayasr at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 06:54:34 CEST 2014

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 4:12 PM, Arvi Krishnaswamy <arvi at alumni.iastate.edu>
wrote:

> I think there were a few things that I thought the calendar would help
with.
> - not sure how many people are on trello, a larger % are on google
calendar already
> - time flies by pretty quick at conferences and I thought it'd be handy
for me to subscribe to a calendar and get notifications

Fair enough.

> - not sure trello solves who speaks when, it in fact requires more
arbitrage between two notes in one list which may be planning the same
slot? (I may not have understood your suggestion)

​Well, what I meant was, instead of thinking of these as "sessions" why not
think of them as getting the audience for someone who wants to talk. i.e.
if i want to talk about something, i'll announce that i'm interested in
talking about "X" and on that card, people who want to listen to me can
find out where to meet me and then find a decent place to have that
discussion. Nimhans is a HUGE place to have adhoc discussions. Of course
then it means that the Rooms don't get used up all that much.  ​

> I do like that the Trello option provides for better collaboration and
discussion under each note. This is definitely valuable and I can't think
of a way to do this with just a calendar.

How about having something like an IFTTT recipe to connect trello ​with
GCal and get something going? Haven't thought this through though.

> Thoughts?
>
> Arvi
>
> On Aug 21, 2014 11:22 PM, "Shrayas rajagopal" <shrayasr at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 12:11 AM, Arvi Krishnaswamy <
arvi at alumni.iastate.edu> wrote:

>> > I need to think this through a bit. Perhaps something simple like a
shared Google calendar, which can be collaboratively updated, and with
tweets that go out on #pycon when there are new appointments setup?
>> > And yes, either monitors or a projector plus screen (which can rotate
through different feeds - Twitter feed, camera feeds, schedule, photos
would be great)

>> If we could get something like this done, nothing like it. One problem I
see with using a shared google calendar is, if 3 people want to give a talk
at location "A" then who decides who gets to give that talk? We're really
going for an *open* approach here. Ideally it would be great for everyone
who wants to talk to get an audience.

>> How about using something like trello for this? We could have lists for
every open space spot, and anyone who likes to give a talk simply puts a
card in there with the required details (topic, a small description). The
interested people could reply on the card itself and could get something
arranged.

>> Come to think of it, it really isn't necessary to have designated places
for these sessions, we really only need a way to *connect* the interested
speaker to the people who want to listen to him/her.