[Inpycon] PyCon proposal review process

Anand Chitipothu anandology at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 09:02:21 CEST 2014

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 3:12 AM, me kracekumar <me at kracekumar.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
>  We received 143 proposals and 30 proposals on last day.
>
> Review process:
>
>  Review process will happen in two phases. During phase1 of review, each
> reviewer will give +1, 0, -1 for each proposal. After the phase 1, any talk
> with no negatives will be accepted and with >3 negatives is rejected.
> Remaining talks will move to phase 2. In Phase 2, reviews will happens in
> group. After phase 2 final list will be announced. Reviewer is free to
> communicate to the proposer through funnel.
>

> What does votes mean ?
>
> +1 -- The topic sounds good and the proposal is solid. This vote means
> reviewer is willing to put his/her reputation on the line in favour of the
> proposal.
>
> 0 -- This topic is good and the proposal is solid. The speaker is capable
> of correcting any deficiencies, and significant number of attendees want it.
>
> -1 -- This talk or its proposal has significant problems and would be
> worse for having it.

In my experience, it is hard to put -1 on any talk. Usually people put +1
on good ones and ignore the rest.

What I did last year was to ask each reviewer to pick the 5 talks that they
think should be selected. Quickly we were able to come up with 10 talks
that almost all of them agree up on. Now the problem is to select the
remaining 10, which requires lot of discussion. I think that worked very
well.