[Inpycon] Venue suggestion for PyCon India 2015

Kracekumar Ramaraju me at kracekumar.com
Tue Oct 7 15:36:23 CEST 2014

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 3:30 PM, Noufal Ibrahim KV <noufal at nibrahim.net.in>
wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 07 2014, vijay kumar wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 2:40 PM, Arvi Krishnaswamy <
> arvi at alumni.iastate.edu>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> How about a smaller space with capacity for 600-700 people max?  A more
> >> focused Pycon that isn't trying to be everything for everyone with 1500
> >> people :) I vote for staying at Nimhans but improving the quality of the
> >> event for its core audience. Let beginner level sessions and training
> >> happen via python express throughout the year. Quite honestly, I'm not
> sure
> >> I will attend if we have 1500 next year :)
> >>
> > am -1 for not having beginners level sessions.  I personally think
> > PyCon India should continue with all three level beginners,
> > intermediate and Advance.  This is how PyCon India has grown and would
> > like to continue to see same.  Just Fyi: This year we had more 60 %
> > first timer.
>
> I'm not particular about the size of the event. If I could sacrifice
> attendance for talk quality, I'd do it.
>
> The main complaint about PyCon India (since the maiden event) has been
> talk quality. We're aiming to be all things for all people and that
> doesn't work out. While I think Arvi's work with the program committee
> has been superb, the effect was limited because we *wanted* to dilute
> the quality of the talks to satisfy newbies.

Well over the years the quality of the talks have improved.
If person worked in Python for 3 years continuously he would have learned
more, whereas PyCon quality of talks will not be same as his experience.
What is advanced for X may not be advanced for Y.

> Now that Python express is there, I'm generally in favour of increasing
> year round workshops and user group meetings for newbies and making the
> conference more high end. No more "Introduction to X" style talks which
> you can easily pick up from a website or a tutorial. The workshops can
> be introductory but I'm also in favour of lengthening them and reducing
> the number so that you'll have a few deep workshops instead of lots of
> shallow ones.

Talk selection committee decided not to have "Introduction to X" talks this
year. This is not the problem any more.

> Even the talks, I'm completely okay with making it a single track event
> with only a small number of high quality talks. The kind of talks I'd
> like to see are
>
>  - Scaling Django to X users - How we did it at "Awesome startup".
>  - Handling large scale distributed systems in pure python - an
>    adventure with gevent.
>  - Interpreter hacks to sandbox code execution
>  - Stripping down Python to run on a limited memory embedded device.

 - Why we rewrote a production scale Python app in Go and how we did it.
>  - Reducing technical debt. in large flask projects.
>  - Why the GIL might not be a problem.

Conference is for everyone beginner, Intermediate and advanced.  As a
community we need grow with different skill sets.
Also there isn't any problem for submission such talks.

Things like that where people have actually had experience in dealing
> with the nitty gritty of solving hard problems and talk about their
> experiences. These are usually small talks followed by long QA about
> people experiencing similar problems.

+1. I would say focus on original work and disallow people from reading
documentation, which we ensured this year.

> If we try to be everything for everyone, we'll end up being nothing. If
> we announce that PyCon India is for experienced, serious Python
> developers and live upto the announcement, intermediate and even some
> beginner people will actually learn something new and improve
> themselves. Advanced people will have a forum to discuss real problems
> rather than an audience with 60% first timers.

If there are 40% experienced still there is a huge audience for advance
topics.

> My main concern is that there are more newbies than experienced
> folk. There are lots of outlets for newbies to learn things. Tutorials
> on the web, user group meetups, tutorials, classes, python express
> workshops etc. For advanced people though, there are almost no
> outlets. I'm in favour of making PyCon India a high quality event. Even
> by sacrificing number of talks and audience size. Quality over Quantity.

Quality is one thing getting better every year. There are only limited
people
who do advanced stuff in Python. For various reasons they don't submit the
talks.

How many user group meetups in India are active apart from BangPypers ?
We shouldn't mix user group and conference. User groups has their own
agenda and caters for local needs.

> [...]
>

> --
> Cordially,