[Inpycon] Development Sprints

Rejy M Cyriac rcyriac at redhat.com
Thu Oct 16 07:12:15 CEST 2014

On 10/15/2014 11:13 PM, Noufal Ibrahim KV wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 15 2014, Haris Ibrahim K. V. wrote:
>

> [...]
>
>> I would say this is a wrong attitude to have. Experienced speakers
>> don't sprout on trees. It takes a long time for someone to get good at
>> it.
>
> Of course. I'm just saying that an annual conference shouldn't be the
> place for them to start or, even worse, practice their speaking
> skills. User group meetings, smaller conferences etc. are all fine.
>
> Besides, we've been running in the current way for quite a few years and
> still have complaints about talk quality. I think a different approach
> is justified, even if only as an experiment.
>
>> Also, having expert knowledge about a certain topic does not mean the
>> person would have presentation skills as well.
>
> That's fine. It's way better than someone with excellent presentation
> skills talking about something they don't know in depth.

-1

Engaging the audience is vital for a talk to be well accepted.

> Also, a talk by an experienced speaker will open the way to an
> interesting Q/A or even a good open space.
>
>> Almost all the Pycons around the world welcome first time speakers,
>> including Pycon US.
>
> Fair enough. I'm saying we should try it for a year or two in a
> different way and see if it's better. My gut feel is that this kind of
> approach will make it a smaller but higher quality conference.
>
>> There should be an avenue for first timers to present and grow. At
>> some point in time, the old will have to make way for the new. :)
>
> User group meetings, smaller one day conferences, attending workshops,
> teaching workshops. All of these are there. I don't understand the
> reasoning behind allowing first timers to speak at the premium
> conference which is held just once a year.
>
> [...]
How would we go about verifying this ? Ask for participation
certificates from the local user group ? Ensuring the speaker selection
process is based on merit of the topic, quality of content, and
presentation skills of the presenter should be enough, rather than put
up hard filters to keep out folks.

Rejy M Cyriac (rmc)