[Inpycon] Development Sprints

Bibhas Ch Debnath me at bibhas.in
Thu Oct 16 08:13:23 CEST 2014

On Oct 16, 2014 11:30 AM, "Anand Chitipothu" <anandology at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 11:11 AM, Bibhas Ch Debnath <me at bibhas.in> wrote:
>>

>> On Oct 15, 2014 8:37 PM, "Anand Chitipothu" <anandology at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> >   [...]
don't sprout on trees. It takes a long time for someone to get good at it.

person would have presentation skills as well.

some point in time, the old will have to make way for the new. :)

>> > New speaker are welcome, but not first time speakers. There are other
venues like user group meetings etc to practice speaking for first timers.

>> Maybe we should not restrict speakers depending on their experience.
Maybe instead we can have a strong talk selection committee who can go
through the talks of first time speakers and make sure that the
presentation is of high quality?

>> We can always ask people to participate and talk at the local user
groups. But we'll always have someone who will submit their talks as a
first time speaker. Maybe their presentation skills won't be at par. But if
the topic is interesting, we can help them get started? Restricting the
total number of talks might help here. We can give more assistance to the
talks. The percentage of first time speakers won't be too high. So if the
topic is interesting, maybe someone else from the community can help the
speaker on stage if they don't have good presentation skills. That might
help both the speaker and the conference, and the community to some extent
as it might encourage more new speakers to come up.

> I think thats a good idea. In fact, that is what done this year. The talk
selection team has spent time looking at the slides of the speakers,
providing guidelines etc.

I believe that's a good path to follow. This year we've had much less
complaints about talk quality than last couple of years. Let's keep doing
it and do it better next year.