[Inpycon] Development Sprints

Rejy M Cyriac rcyriac at redhat.com
Thu Oct 16 14:30:44 CEST 2014

On 10/16/2014 04:24 PM, Noufal Ibrahim KV wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 16 2014, Rejy M Cyriac wrote:
>

> [...]
>
>>> We, as a community, should make avenues open for first time speakers,
>>> presenters, programmers etc. I just don't think that these 20 odd talks
>>> that are selected once a year for which people actually fly down and
>>> stay in Bangalore should be that avenue.
>>>

>> Would a separate track for first time speakers, presenters, programmers,
>> to be held along with the main conference, be something to consider ?
>
> I don't know. I'm still undecided on how to split tracks. Level wise,
> topic wise. I think splitting them mostly topic wise and then marking
> talks is one way of doing it[1].
>
> Doing it like you suggest makes this track, in some ways, "lower". This
> is where you go to if you're inexperienced, a first timer or something
> else we think less of. This is a gut feeling but I think, within the
> conference, everything should be equal.
>
> [...]

Looking at the way you put it, it certainly makes sense not to brand a
track as beginner, as most folks will not like to be labelled as such,
and moreover it may bring down the value of the PyCon India brand.

It would be better to split tracks topic-wise, and then mark them
"introduction", "intermediate", and "advanced", and even have "Extreme"
level as given in the provided link.

We could then limit the "introduction" talks to just one per track, and
have them at non-prime time/space.

And we could aim to have more of "advanced" and  "Extreme" talks to
improve the value of the PyCon India brand, but that again depends on
PyCon India being able to attract experienced speakers, and the ability
of the panel to choose well.

- rejy (rmc)