[Inpycon] Open spaces & Lightning Talks

Shrayas rajagopal shrayasr at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 15:52:20 CEST 2014

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 3:06 PM, Jaseem Abid <jaseemabid at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Went through the thread again, had some chat on #pyconindia at freenode.
> Here is the summary and things that need to be done. Should make this
> into a blog so that attendees know what it is all about and will make
> good use of things.

​I've already got a half written blog here[1]. Was waiting for more input
to finish it up. Will do that soon​.

[1]: https://github.com/iambibhas/inpycon14/pull/13

> * What are open spaces and what do we want out of it?
>
>    An open area where people can collaborate/learn things in groups
>    and have small flash talks. A smaller group generally leads to a
>    lot more discussions, encourages the audience ask more questions
>    and keep things lively.
>
> * Things to do at an open space.
>
>     + Flash talks (10m max)
>     + Code reading. Pick up a FOSS and start. An experienced hacker
>       can take a group along for a quick intro.
>     + A mini hackathon? - Indradhanush Gupta
>     + Bug squashing sprint sounds awesome! - Indradhanush Gupta
>     + Round table hacking
>     + *Rejected talk proposals* - Krace

​We are going to include these things as possibilities right? Are we
planning to organize anything per se?​

> * Things for us volunteers to do.
>
>     + Need a simple way for people to know what is going on. Details
>       below.
>
>     + Krace said,
>       1. Publicize in web site, schedule and mailing list.
>
>       2. Announce in social media and send open session notes to all
>          participants and rejected talk proposers.
>       3. Make announcement about open sessions during breaks and
>          have sign board for open session.
>
>     + Shrayas was ready to announce etc.
>
> * Available venues
>
>   + First floor - we need to arrange a lot of tables there.
>   + Audi 3 (Capacity ~80 I think)
>
> * Communication/ Scheduling
>
>   _How do we let people know what is happening and where?_
>
>   + How about using something like trello for this? We could have
>
>     lists for every open space spot, and anyone who likes to give a
>     talk simply puts a card in there with the required details (topic,
>     a small description). The interested people could reply on the
>     card itself and could get something arranged. - Shrayas on mailing
>     list

​Arvi was not too ok with this because everyone would have to have a Trello
account then.​

>   + The same idea, but offline with stickies. Picture shared by Bibhas.

http://www.globalnerdy.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/barcamp-grid-1.jpg

​Looks v.good but we need to prepare this. ​In an agreeable format.

>   + Come to think of it, it really isn't necessary to have designated
>     places for these sessions, we really only need a way to *connect*
>     the interested speaker to the people who want to listen to
>     him/her - Shrayas
>
>   + Google calender. We could do this along with trello
​
Yes, Maybe both together makes more sense.​

>   + IRC. That will happen anyway.

​IRC or scrollback?​

>   + Twitter.
>
> * Volunteers
>
>    - I <Jaseem jaseemabid at gmail.com> can take lead. Would love to get
>      more volunteers :)
>    - Shrayas?

​My presence at the event is questionable :( I might not actually be able
to make it. Some family issues.​