[Inpycon] Suggestion: Mike arrangement for Q&A after talks

Bibhas me at bibhas.in
Sat Sep 13 14:34:30 CEST 2014

On 09/13/2014 05:41 PM, Shrayas rajagopal wrote:
> Hey all,
>

> I've always felt that the Q&A session after each talk is really a time
> of chaos: for the speaker to find the person asking the question, for
> the person to wait for the mic and for the person moving the mic from
> one place to another.
>
> So how about we try this this year: Let us keep 2 standing mics in the
> auditoriums, somewhere equidistant and ask the participants who have
> questions to line up and wait for their turn.
>
> I've seen this work in a fair share of places - The google talks and I
> think debconf 2014 where there was a Q&A session with Linus took this
> approach. I'm sure other conferences do it too.

This will work when you have a bunch of audience who are bound to have
questions. For your example, when you're doing a Q&A session with Linus,
more and more people are bound to have questions and because it's Linus,
they have the motivation to get up from their seat and come to the mic
to ask them.

In our case, most participants are new to PyCon and even attending any
conferences. Most of them are too afraid to even ask questions. Well, at
least I was the first time I attended PyCon. I don't think this will
help a lot in solving that problem for regular sessions. This could be
done for the keynotes though. And even panel discussions.