[Inpycon] Volunteers Required: Video Management Task

Anand Chitipothu anandology at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 07:05:20 CEST 2014

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 12:37 AM, Kiran Jonnalagadda <jace at pobox.com> wrote:

> Gentlemen,
>
> I'm going to be hosting your video training this Tuesday from 11 AM to 5
> PM. There are some rules:
>
> 1. Video isn't easy. It's by far the most technically challenging aspect
> of the conference, requires expensive equipment, and you run a very real
> risk of getting an electric shock. If you're hoping this is a task where
> you can look busy without doing much, I recommend taking your name off the
> volunteers list.
>
> 2. There are three parts to video production. The first is venue setup,
> which will take you until 3 or 4 AM because you can be wholly assured
> nothing will work until that ungodly hour. You get to go home at 4 AM and
> return to the venue by 7 AM and proceed to stay fully awake for the rest of
> the day handling part two, the live production. If you're handling the
> camera and lose track of the speaker for even one second, you can expect
> that whoever is handling the console will be screaming for your head
> another second later. The third part is post production, where you get to
> slog your ass off while everyone else is partying. No seriously, I'm not
> kidding. Your post production work starts when the day ends, and for every
> hour after that people are going to bug you for videos as if you are the
> villain denying them the videos they paid for.
>
> If this does not sound like fun, that is correct. This is not fun. Please
> bury your fantasies about being the cameraman wielding a long lens that has
> everyone in awe. You'll have a teeny handicam that has exactly three
> buttons: one to start recording and two to zoom.
>
> 3. You will be a team of three people per room. One manning the camera,
> one manning the console, and the third working on post processing
> immediately after each talk so that you can join the party later too.
> Everyone else is unnecessary and a distraction UNLESS you want to be on a
> standby team that takes over for part of the day. When you're on duty,
> there is no slacking. We're not counting mike volunteers here because that
> requires no training.
>
> 4. As a camera crew member, you will be the last person in the room to
> leave for a break, and the first person to return from a break. Where the
> audience gets half an hour of break time, you'll get a little over five
> minutes.
>
> 5. You're also in charge of helping speakers connect their laptops to the
> projector and debugging every kind of problem that can arise. If you don't
> know what pin 4 in a VGA cable is for, or why pin 9 is missing, you're
> about as useful as a computer technician who fixes Windows problems by
> rebooting the machine.
>
> Pay attention during the training session and brush up your high school
> physics before you come. We do not want to be responsible for you having
> died after making contact with an unearthed power cable, and there will be
> plenty of fooling around with earthing.

> [...]
Awesome!

Thanks Kiran for the heads up and conducting the video workshop and thanks
Rahul for taking the lead.

One thing that we failed badly last year was post-processing videos.
Everyone gave up and I ended up spending lot of time handling that. It'll
be nice if we have couple of volunteers dedicated for doing that.

Anand