[Inpycon] Suggestion for panel members for PyCon India 2015

Gora Mohanty gora at mimirtech.com
Mon Feb 2 17:35:40 CET 2015

Hi,

Have been hesitating to chip in here given my poor track record in
volunteering for Pycon India activities, and failing to deliver.
Nevertheless, from a perspective of having helped organise moderately-sized
open-source events, here is my 2 paise:
* Have always been uncomfortable with talk selection based solely on public
voting. IMHO, the core organisers of an event have the responsibility of
ensuring the quality of talks at the event. Thus, I am actually quite OK
with the talks being decided by an internal team provided that getting on
the internal team is not too difficult. The danger in this approach is that
the internal team ends up becoming quite cliquish, again IMHO. However, the
challenge should be to remain open, and I think that Pycon India has beenn
doing quite well at that.

* The idea of an external panel of experts is quite good, but it comes down
to how one selects such experts.
   - Even here, I think that the internal team needs to have strong
representation on the panel, and maybe even the final say.
   - So, what might work is a mixture of weightages from:
      x Public voting via a Funnel-like system
      x Inputs from a panel of experts
      x Inputs from core organisers

Regards,
Gora