[Inpycon] Python Express - Moving Forward

Anand Chitipothu anandology at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 06:49:12 CEST 2015

wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 9:12 AM, Anand Chitipothu <anandology at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 10:48 AM, sankarshan <
> foss.mailinglists at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> >> At that scale, the requirements are not just a multiplier of 200
> >> workshops in 2 months. But you already know that. The question is,
> >> what happens once the 10K workshops are done for one year and how to
> >> fund at that scale?
> >

> >  That is a good problem to worry about. But with the small scale of about
> > 50-100 workshops/month we can start with no money involved model that we
> > have used for Python Month and slowly evolve into paying some small
> > honorarium to workshop trainers to cover travel and other minor expenses.
> > There are multiple options for funding. We can approach PSSI or PSF for
> > funding. Sponsorships could be other option, but too early to worry
> about.
>
> If you do feel that the progress forward on this topic would be via an
> independent community project which draws upon multiple available
> sources for funding, then I would think it would be prudent to move
> ahead without much by way of discussion. For what it is worth, "as
> part of PSSI" or, "under the PSSI umbrella" aren't absolute mandates
> to pull this off. Although they may provide a structured manner to
> handle and disburse funds (and this I am purely speculating from the
> perspective of 'existing organizations have standard flows for inbound
> and outbound requests').

My only worry is that going with PSSI impose too much structure that it
adds unnecessary burden.

Instead of worrying about how to spend money and book keeping, we can give
something like a small honorarium to workshop speakers and let them manage
buying stickers, travel expenses instead of we managing the expenses.

I'm sure we can come up with lot of innovative ideas to keep these kind of
overheads low.

>> > Option 2 - Let Python Express evolve as independent community project

> have
> if

> >> What is the charter of the "independent community project"?
> >

> > It would very unstructured I guess. People discuss in a mailing list and
> > make decisions.
>
> *This* is the part which is slightly puzzling. If you are planning
> big, you shouldn't bet against that growth. In other words, if the
> goal is audacious, then you should do absolutely everything necessary
> to ensure that the extraneous parts of the goal (organization
> structure, fund flows, trainer selection) are watertight and well
> grounded. I comprehend the thought process behind the unstructured
> aspect of the project, my take is that it would be an impediment in
> the long term.

My point here is I don't to decide a structure and impose on the
volunteers. Lets discuss and come up with a structure that sounds
reasonable to every one. I think building the structure is also part of the
project and that'll evolve as we go ahead.