[Inpycon] A thought on workshops

Anand Chitipothu anandology at gmail.com
Tue May 5 18:47:41 CEST 2015

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 3:12 PM, Noufal Ibrahim KV <noufal at nibrahim.net.in>
wrote:

> This issue of holding NIMHANS for an extra day to conduct workshops and
> it being unsuitable to actually conduct them has come up multiple
> times.
>
> Here's a proposal that I think might help a little. There are many small
> to medium sized companies who use Python who might have a room available
> for a small audience on the weekend for half a day.  If we can open up
> something like a "workshop sponsor" so that they give us the use of the
> room for something like a free pass for a workshop or
> conference. Publicity on the website or something similar, it might be a
> win/win situation for both parties.
>
> We can save the cost of holding NIMHANS for an extra day. We can have
> better venues that are more suitable for a workshop than an auditorium
> and the workshops can occur in a more staggered fashion before the
> conference. It could also, in the future, go to multiple cities which is
> a good thing. We might have to restrict the audience size but that might
> be okay.
>
> The companies will get a sponsorship slot and benefits that it brings.
>
> It might be a little late to do it this year but I think it's worth
> atleast considering.

I liked the idea in general.

I think this approach will work only if we conduct workshops in multiple
cities.

If we host all the workshops in Bangalore, it'll be a lot easier for people
coming from other cities if all the workshops are at the same venue as the
conference. Otherwise they'll have lot of difficulty in finding venue for
each workshop.

Also, we are planning to conduct the workshops on Friday, so it'll be a
working day for all these companies and they may not be willing to give out
their space. It might work if we do these workshops on the weekend before
the conference days.

May be it is too late to try this now.