[Inpycon] Help with Venue for PyCon India

AMiT Kumar dtu.amit at gmail.com
Sun May 8 02:18:35 EDT 2016

On Sun, May 8, 2016 at 11:28 AM, Noufal Ibrahim KV <noufal at nibrahim.net.in>
wrote:

> On Sun, May 08 2016, AMiT Kumar wrote:
>

> [...]
>
> Of course. But I don't think we should use or allow a once in a year
> event for people to practice their speaking skills.
>
> People should speak at local user group meetups, smaller events etc. and
> have some experience.

+1 Thanks for pointing out this, I felt it to be previous PyCon's.

> [...]
>
> > How do you measure quality?
>
> Audience feedback. If a lot of people who attend a conference say that
> the quality is low, it's low (regardless of any internal metrics I
> have). When people say that "I've been skipping PyCon India since the
> talk quality is low", there's a problem that needs to be fixed.

I didn't saw the feedback of last year's PyCon, That's very disheartening.

> [...]
>
> In any case, I've pursued this line of argument before and met with
> opposition similar to what you've raised and it was shot down. I bring
> it up only because we seem to be in a situation because of which the
> size of conference will be constrained due to reasons beyond our
> control. If that happens, this might be a good thing to try. And again,
> it's based on speaking to attendees. The "low talk quality" feedback has
> been there for a while now.

I understand your concerns & agree with a lot of them & all I conclude from
it is having an intelligent talk/workshop selection panel & a firm policy
for selection of better talks & workshops (no selection of talks based on
friends & personal opinions). This alone can lead to a great PyCon, IMO.

ᐧ