[Inpycon] PythonExpress for school students

praveen patil praveenkumar103 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 03:48:00 EDT 2016

On 3 Oct 2016 11:27, "Jaysinh Shukla" <jaysinhp at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sunday 02 October 2016 05:09 PM, vijay kumar wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> During PyCon India 2016 open space, we discussed about conducting
workshops for school students.
>> Teaching school students might be a bit challenging as they have minimal
knowledge on programming. Real time and visual results will excite them to
learn programming language and try things on their own.

>> We can conduct python workshops with the help of low cost single board
computers like Raspberry Pi, Arduino, ExpEYES or something similar to it
which will be helpful in teaching and also make the students understand.

>> Since the cost of these single board computers are less, its affordable
for students to buy on their own to pursue it further.

>> I would request everyone to share your thoughts on the same and help in
building the workshop topics and content for school students.

>> Thanks,
>> Vijay

> Respected Community,
>
>     I believe the idea of teaching school students is great. R.Pi is chip
and mostly available in India, but, we should also consider the option of
BBC Micro bit (
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/4hVG2Br1W1LKCmw8nSm9WnQ/the-bbc-micro-bit).
Though it is not available in India, we can request the Government of India
to help us in this.
>     On the other side I believe we can also plan for the specially
designed tutorials for kids using [turtle module](
https://docs.python.org/3.6/library/turtle.html) of Python.
>     Looking forward for views of the community. Many Thanks!

Recently I have conducted few workshops for highschool students (8th-10th).
Introduced them to programming using Scratch
(https://scratch.mit.edu/) then few sessions on turtle module and finally
some simple experiments with ExpEYS (http://expeyes.in) where students
could write few lines of code in Python and fetch data and plot graphs.

This approach   from interactive blocks of scratch to writing simple code
in turtle module then introducing communication with hardware fetched good
results.

The response was amazing.

Regards
Praveen