[Inpycon] PythonExpress Partnership

Anand Chitipothu anandology at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 06:54:10 EDT 2016

On Thu, 20 Oct 2016 at 16:01 Anuvrat Parashar <anuvrat at anuvrat.in> wrote:

> How about a crowd funding? Use any of flattr, kickstarter etc, or setup
> something of our own.
>
> if Wikipedia can survive entirely on crowd funding, PSSI should be able to
> cover a few workshops.

We are good at doing Python, not fund raising. Raising funds is not an easy
task. Wikipedia will have a team of people working only fund raising. I
think it is easier for PSSI to seek sponsorships instead of fund raising.

Here is something that might work. Apply for PSF grant for running 100
workshops to start with.

Assuming there'll be 50 participants in each workshop, that would be
covering 5000 people. If we pay honorarium of Rs. 2000/- to every workshop
instructor and let them manage their travel expenses, that would cost about
Rs. 2 lakh, about $3000.

I'm sure PSF would be more than happy to sponsor $3000 for teaching Python
to 5000 people, at a cost of 60 cents per person (their limit is $25).

That would take care of the expenses for the short run. We can ask the
colleges benefiting from these workshops to donate to PSSI to continue run
Python Express. I'm sure at least some of them will come back.

The next thing that would might be helpful is to try getting some
government to sponsor. I know it is hard, but we can check with out friends
at FOSSEE and see if something can be worked out.

What do you think?