[Inpycon] Sponsorship for PyCon India 2018

Bibhas Ch Debnath me at bibhas.in
Fri Dec 1 02:24:03 EST 2017

On 01-Dec-2017 12:35 PM, "Noufal Ibrahim" <noufal at nibrahim.net.in> wrote:

On 2017-12-01 03:27, Vijay Kumar wrote:

> On Thu, November 30, 2017 6:12 pm, Anand Chitipothu wrote:
>
>> I believe the role of sponsorship is more than fund raising. It is a
>> great way to connect python companies with the community. In the best
>> interest of python community, we should try to maximize the number of
>> companies that get connected in addition to making sure we raise enough
>> sponsorship to meet e expenses.
>>

> +1 for this. One approach is the "Contributor Ticket" model. Something
> along the lines of https://2016.pycon-au.org/sponsors/contributo

This is nice for people who just want to support the event but I don't
think it adds much value for the startups themselves. A logo on stage and a
link from the website is not much. I'm not sure if that will pull in any
business or potential hires (which is usually what these companies are
interested in).

I think Anand's thrust was that we should make a package that attracts tiny
underfunded startups. This is my opinion anyway. They'd willingly throw the
money at the conference just to be part of it. This involves two things.

1. Low cost (definitely less than 50k. Preferable less than 25k). This
makes the barrier of entry low and there will be people who say "I don't
know if it's worth it but what the heck, let's try
   it anyway. It doesn't cost much."

2. A tangible gain from coming. We cannot piss off the high paying sponsors
who will have booth and other things at the event. However, just paying 10k
or something and having a link on the website
   doesn't do much. A startup row which will be active from (say) 14:00 to
17:00 on the first day where the startups can all be in one room with a row
of tables. They can pitch their wares, organise
   little contests or whatever during that time. It won't be exclusive but
will be along with other talks.

This will work for startups.
​I also think that ​
50k is too high for a small company that has never attended events like
this, but want to be part of the community and also hire people.

25k seems like a good amount to me.
​We can provide
 one free ticket for one person representing the company.

If both these things are there, there will be no reason for them to say no
and we can attract a lot of them. This means, more job offers, more people
etc.

Companies are a huge part of the "community" and given how much effort
we're putting in to attract newbie speakers, we should do atleast that much
to attract small companies. Not for the money but just to get the companies
there.