[Inpycon] Pyladies/Django Girls @ PyCon India 2018

Anand B Pillai anandpillai at letterboxes.org
Thu Dec 7 00:18:05 EST 2017

On Thursday 07 December 2017 10:19 AM, Kumar Anirudha via Inpycon wrote:

> On Thursday, December 7, 2017, 10:16 AM, Noufal Ibrahim
> <noufal at nibrahim.net.in> wrote:
>
>     On 2017-12-07 00:58, Vanitha Shanmugam wrote:
>     > Hi All,
>     >
>     > In sponsorship doc, there was a suggestion to recognize pyladies
>     > chapters in Pycon India 2018.
>     > As part of 10th year celebration, why don't we take some initiative to
>     > encourage Pyladies and Django Girls chanpters in India?
>
>     This is a good idea but I don't think we should restrict this to
>     Pyladies or Djangogirls. General community oriented groups should be
>     welcome (e.g. FSMK etc.). Almost all of them use Python so there's some
>     overlap there and since they're not profit making groups, it won't
>     clash
>     with the sponsors even if give them stalls in a separate place.
>
>     +1 to having stalls for communities.

This year PyCon had community stalls (on 1st floor). There was HydPy and
a few others over there sharing stickers and people having a good
conversation and networking around them.

In fact I'd even suggest for a community track - if we have time for
this, where communities talk about their initiatives and how they can
work with other communities. Right now this happens informally and often
via lightning talks/open spaces. But I'd suggest having this as a talk
topic option in the CFP.

Talks need not be always technical and in fact non-technical talks
sometimes works better.

A related feedback is on the Panel discussions. I am not sure how
effective this format is so its useful to collect feedback on this and
see if this can be made better. At lease one thing that can be done is
to ask the community feedback early on on Panel discussion topics rather
than towards the end. Again +1 there on non-technical discussions.

Example - a default always-on panel discussion on a communities in each
PyCon.