[Inpycon] [Discussion] Guidelines for Keynote speaker

Anand B Pillai anandpillai at letterboxes.org
Tue May 2 03:56:52 EDT 2017

On Tuesday 02 May 2017 12:33 PM, Kracekumar Ramaraj wrote:
> Hi
>
>  As per Vijay Kumar's [0] email in another thread, I'm spinning this
> conversation to prevent diverting the existing conversation.
>
> Here is the stated response
>
> ----
> Hi Everyone,
> I have been following this thread, and would like to make a suggestion
> here. The term keynote speaker is heavily overloaded. As it is obvious
> from the Wikipedia page on the subject. It will be great, if we can have a
> guidelines page in https://github.com/pythonindia/pyconindia-handbook
> <https://github.com/pythonindia/pyconindia-handbook> as
> to what is expected from a keynote speaker. This will help set, clear
> expectations, which will help save time and effort. Just my 2 cents.
>
> BTW, I do understand the role of a keynote speaker in the context of PyCon
> India. But there will definitely be a skew to my own understanding. And in
> a community run event, where a lot of people are involved, each one will
> have a distorted  view of his own. Setting a common guidelines, will help
> set a baseline. This will also be useful to people new to the community.

In Gary Zukav's "Dancing Wu Li Masters" - which I've been re-reading the
last few days - there's a simple definition of the word "Master".

"A Master is someone who has been there before you"

For a me a keynote speaker is first a Master, who has been there before
you. A keynote speaker is someone who inspires you at least a little bit
- to follow his path - for some of the things he has done.

A keynote speaker is someone who you look up to in at least one or two
ways and deep inside you think - "Hey, I like what he did there"

I would rather phrase the requirements in such Zen terms than couch it
in any strict definitions.

> Just in case, it sounds so, I am not trying to undermine any suggestion
> made over here. I have a great respect for all people mentioned on this
> thread. I am just trying to streamline the process.

This is a very personal thing and trying to put a process around it
would be rather counter productive IMHO.