[Inpycon] Copyright violation of PyCon India website by blockchain 2017 conference organizer

Anand B Pillai anandpillai at letterboxes.org
Thu Nov 30 08:34:01 EST 2017

On Thursday 30 November 2017 06:50 PM, qua non wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 11:46 AM, vijay kumar <vnbang2003 at gmail.com
> <mailto:vnbang2003 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 3:25 AM, qua non <akshayaurora at gmail.com
>     <mailto:akshayaurora at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>              Just to make it clear, even if an individual volunteer from
>             Delhi had done the website work all alone, it was still done
>             for PyCon India and the copyrights still lies with PSSI and
>             PyCon India.
>

>         Where is this agreement?
>

>     When you do volunteer work for an orgnaisation even if its NGO,
>     legally the organisation is the first owner and in turn hold the
>     copyright for the work.
>
>     Reference link to understand copy right act of India - look for
>     Authorship and ownership:
>     http://copyright.gov.in/Documents/handbook.html
>     <http://copyright.gov.in/Documents/handbook.html>
>
>     Adding a FAQ here from the website for your reference as well:
>     *
>
>     Who is the owner of copyright in the work of a public undertaking?
>
>     *
>
> Majority of the volunteers don't even know what PSSI is. They worked for
> PyCon India "the event" not the org behind it.

> There was no undertaking that the volunteer work done was for PSSI, no
> agreement.
> If PSSI would like to claim ownership to volunteer work then please have
> the decency to explicitly state it in a license that people have to sign
> before contributing.
>
> *Why argue against adding a explicit agreement ? **This would hep both
> sides be clear.*

Valid points.

It is an inclusive community. There are no *both sides* here on the
ground. What happened was a small miscommunication and nothing else.
There is no need at all to adopt lawyer like stance on any side.

May I request you to drop the matter. Thanks.

--Anand

Software Architect/Consultant
anandpillai at letterboxes.org

http://twitter.com/skeptichacker