[Inpycon] Reg PyCon India 2018

Ramanathan Ramakrishnamoorthy ramanathanhari at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 10:07:08 EDT 2018

The search for Venue has been happening for almost a month and a half, and
we had multiple parameters to fit in.

1. Make sure working population can make to the conference in good
numbers.  Almost 85-90% of working people in Hyderabad is based out of
Hitech city and around and proximity to them was considered important.
2. Make sure enough number of hotels and hangout places are available near
the venue for people traveling from outside of Hyderabad.
3. Keep the ticket pricing affordable for everyone while giving good
discounts to students.
4. Be able to conduct the workshops on a weekday and have the scheduled
classes (in case it is a college) undisturbed.
5. Have parallel sessions halls nearby and not far away from the main hall.
6. Have sufficient place for impromptu open spaces and unconference events.
7. Ensure the tenth anniversary of PyCon India is a grand celebration.

Besides these, we had to bootstrap quickly for the conference (well, we all
know "what need not be discussed again") and there was an urgency in
confirming the venue to finalize the conference structure and other
details.  We considered almost 15 other venue options (not to miss IIT,
IIIT, JNTU, UOH, BITS, Cyber conventions, JRC, Avasa, Marriot, Katriya,
Park, ITC Kohenur, etc,.) and finalized on HICC as it was a perfect fit on
all the aspects mentioned.  Rest assured, a lot of careful and cautious
thought has gone into the decision.

Coming specifically to CMR as a venue option that came up yesterday, it is
not a good fit while considering #1 and #2. I had called up Dr.Solanki
today morning to explain the rationale and factors behind the decision and
also to thank him for his kind gesture.  We totally understand that he is
trying to help us in reducing cost. Once again, thanks Dr.Solanki for
coming up with the offer.

Hope that explains.

@quanon - We totally understand your intentions are towards reducing
overall cost and making the event better and bigger.  While I (and HydPy)
will let the "irresponsible" remark brush aside - I humbly request you to
practice some empathetic communication within the community.  It will take
us all a long way together and help in the overall wellbeing of the
community and success of the event. Appreciate your understanding.