[Inpycon] Reg PyCon India 2018

Vanitha Shanmugam vani.pree at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 06:52:13 EDT 2018

On 12 April 2018 at 19:37, Ramanathan Ramakrishnamoorthy <
ramanathanhari at gmail.com> wrote:

> The search for Venue has been happening for almost a month and a half, and
> we had multiple parameters to fit in.
>

> 1. Make sure working population can make to the conference in good
> numbers.  Almost 85-90% of working people in Hyderabad is based out of
> Hitech city and around and proximity to them was considered important.
> 2. Make sure enough number of hotels and hangout places are available near
> the venue for people traveling from outside of Hyderabad.
> 3. Keep the ticket pricing affordable for everyone while giving good
> discounts to students.
> 4. Be able to conduct the workshops on a weekday and have the scheduled
> classes (in case it is a college) undisturbed.
> 5. Have parallel sessions halls nearby and not far away from the main hall.
> 6. Have sufficient place for impromptu open spaces and unconference events.
> 7. Ensure the tenth anniversary of PyCon India is a grand celebration.
>
> Besides these, we had to bootstrap quickly for the conference (well, we
> all know "what need not be discussed again") and there was an urgency in
> confirming the venue to finalize the conference structure and other
> details.  We considered almost 15 other venue options (not to miss IIT,
> IIIT, JNTU, UOH, BITS, Cyber conventions, JRC, Avasa, Marriot, Katriya,
> Park, ITC Kohenur, etc,.) and finalized on HICC as it was a perfect fit on
> all the aspects mentioned.  Rest assured, a lot of careful and cautious
> thought has gone into the decision.
>
> Coming specifically to CMR as a venue option that came up yesterday, it is
> not a good fit while considering #1 and #2. I had called up Dr.Solanki
> today morning to explain the rationale and factors behind the decision and
> also to thank him for his kind gesture.  We totally understand that he is
> trying to help us in reducing cost. Once again, thanks Dr.Solanki for
> coming up with the offer.

I know how much effort goes in finding a venue and also the rest of the
conference planning depends on the venue selection. PyCon India is national
event and the team who has taken the responsibility to run the event should
make sure to involve broader community in such a discussion. If you had
sent a note here in mailing list when the team had started looking for a
venue, it would have given everyone here an opportunity to share other
options and opinions. That way, CMR institute would have come up earlier in
the discussion and we might have had more venue options to look into too.

I don't see any PyCon India discussion coming in mailing list for that
matter, only decisions are announced and people's opinions are rejected
mentioning that the decision was already made and also the time constraint
in going over it again.

I noticed that the sponsorship document is updated and "Diamond" and "A la
Carte" sponsorships are removed and the benefits have been updated as well.
Why was this not discussed in mailing list? Looks like Hyderabad team takes
decision on their own and does not care the community.

Interesting fact is people who questioned the Bangalore team, who took over
PyCon India 2018 initially, are not concerned about all the backend
discussions happening now. Wondering how the community is trusting the
current team when they did not trust us even after sharing all the details
in mailing list.

Noufal doubted us, the Bangalore team, that we might be doing backend
discussions, Bibhas, Anand C and multiple others asked for Meeting minutes
for every minute detail we discussed. Where are they now?

When Chandan raised question on PyCon India 2016 and 2017, Noufal mentioned
that taking discussions offline on telegram groups are wrong and we should
have everything in mailing list. Also he suggested that we should move on
with this year's PyCon India instead of discussing what has happened. And
we are letting the same thing happen again this year. If we are going to
delay things every year to make sure PyCon India happens, when are we going
to solve the problems?

Just to make it clear, am not against the current team but am against
people applying different rules for different set of people. This makes me
think that these people had something either against all of us or against a
particular person in the Bangalore team personally and they did not want us
to do PyCon India 2018.

Can we solve the problems and do things the right way irrespective of who
is organising the event?