[Inpycon] gaming sponsorship (Was: Re: Reg PyCon India 2018)

Anand Chitipothu anandology at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 03:27:13 EDT 2018

On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 9:08 PM, Vanitha Shanmugam <vani.pree at gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>
>    1. Diamond and A la carte sponsorships are removed.
>    2. For 2 days conference with 1000 participants, the sponsorship cost
>    seems high for Platinum and Gold.
>    3. Logo on the t-shirt for Platinum? How would this be handled if we
>    get say 3 sponsors with just 2 sleeves? There is a tweet (
>    https://twitter.com/anandology/status/983238586781716480
>    <https://twitter.com/anandology/status/983238586781716480>) on this
>    which could have been avoided if they have provided an opportunity to
>    discuss here.
>    4. Platinum sponsors slot is more than half the amount of Gold
>    sponsors with more or less equal benefits.
>    5. Associate sponsors pay 50,000 and get 6 free passes (24000
>    registration cost if we go with 4000 per person) which is equal to Gold.
>
> I have many more concerns.
> I presume that this document was updated by sponsorship work group. It
> seems to me that the sponsorship document was influenced by someone who
> wants to be an associate sponsor for PyCon India this year as the cost for
> Associate sponsor was reduced from 1L to 50,000 and additional benefits are
> provided for less price if I compare this with the original document
> prepared by Bangalore team earlier.

Yet another baseless allegation and clearly targeted at me. I was the only
one who suggested that Associate sponsorship slab should be less many times
in the mailing list and there were no other associate sponsor other than
Pipal Academy, which I run, in last 2 years.

Have you ever wondered why no one else came forward to become a associate
sponsor in last 2 years and none the year before? Do you expects a startup
to shell out 50K just to get a link back to their website? Would anyone be
so stupid? We at Pipal Academy have made a rule to sponsor every Python
conference in India and we've sponsored everyone of them after we started
(except one we missed last year). Again, not because we are expecting
anything in return, but just because we wanted to be an active part the
community that we've grown up with.

I've been raising my voice from many years that we have to be inclusive.
The startups and local companies are part of the ecosystem and we should
get them part of the community. Just getting more sponsorship money from
googles and microsofts is not enough. We had many small startups came
forward and sponsored PyCon India in the early years and I don't see that
happening and I'm very worried.

For you, it just like like I'm trying to save some money by gaming
sponsorship? It  shows how narrow minded you are, if nothing else.

And, do you know that I'm not part of the sponsorship workshop, I don't
even know who all are in that workgroup and I've never communicated with
them.

If you are in doubt and don't know the context, you should believe that the
other party is working in good faith and give the benefit of doubt.
Throwing baseless allegations like this hurts everyone and discourages
people to come forward and volunteer.

This is not the first time I'm facing this. It consumes so much effort and
drains all the energy to counter these things.

If you can't contribute positively to the conference, just keep quiet and
let people move forward. Please stop pulling us back.