[Inpycon] Duration of talks

Anand Chitipothu anandology at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 01:45:47 EDT 2018

Hello everyone,

We have had talk duration as 45 minutes (40 minutes + 5 mins for Q/A and
switch over) for historical reasons.

Here is how the other conferences are doing:

PyCon UK - 25 minutes
PyCon AU - 30 minutes
EuroPython - 30, 45 and 60 minutes
US PyCon - 30 and 40 minutes
PyCon DE - 30 and 45 minutes

At the CFP workgroup, we thought it might be a good idea to reduce the
duration of the talk to 30 minutes, including Q&A and switch over. It
forces the speaker, to think deeper, organize better, to stay focused on
the topic and cut down the material that is not essential.

We discussed about the possibility of having both short and long talks, but
adds additional burden on CFP team as that is the an additional parameter
to consider and tune when selecting the talks.

I think it improves the overall talk quality and also provides room for
more talks.

What do you think?