[Inpycon] Mentoring Speakers

Anand Chitipothu anandology at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 09:01:21 EDT 2018

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 5:22 PM, Anand B Pillai <anandpillai at letterboxes.org
> wrote:

> [...]
> > We are still debating about how will the potential speakers pick
> > mentors. We have been discussing about three possible options. We will
> > have pick one or more of those options.
> >
> > 1. Publish a list of mentors and let potential speakers contacts them
> > directly
>
> Broadcast Model. Chaos.

Not really broadcast. The potential speakers pick whom to contact. We can
update the page if a mentor is open to take more people or not.

> > 2. Have a google form and we moderate it
>
> Centralised control. Too limiting.

Not really for control, but to make the initial contact. Once the initial
contact is made to a mentor all the communication happens between them.

> > 3. Have a public IRC/Slack channel to comminucate
>
> Peer to peer. May not be very efficient.

Again, this is the starting point. I like this mode because people can join
the channel and ask any questions that they may have before deciding
whether or not  seek for a mentor. I guess all we are trying is to do is be
more welcoming.

> Do you think it is a good idea? Any comments or suggestions?
>
> 4. Get a list of mentors and once talks are approved - ask mentors to
> express interest in talks/speakers they want to mentor by entering
> comments on the CFP. Do this by setting up a mini ML of mentors and
> emailing them during final stages of CFP.

Mentorship starts even before submitting the talk proposal. I think the
speaker should pick his/her mentor, not the other way around.