[Inpycon] Reckoning time

qua non akshayaurora at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 08:11:44 EST 2018

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 9:53 AM, Noufal Ibrahim KV <noufal at nibrahim.net.in>
wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>       I think it's past time we made a decision about what to do. There
> have been a few emails about a lack of response and other such matters
> and things need to be sorted out.
>
>       Unless there are atleast 2 or 3 people willing to take the lead,
> the conference is not going to happen. Volunteers for the ground work
> and other such details are present and can be mobilised but there's no
> one at the helm. This needs to be fixed. If some of the people here
> who've worked on the conference have the time and inclination to get
> into the drivers seat, please chime in. Then, we can get the whole show
> back on the road.

The Python community from all around India has voiced on this mailing list,
that they would still like to see PyCon India happen this year.

Satyakaam, Rajat Saini, Sanyam Khurana, Jaidev Deshpande, Shahank Kumar,
Piyush Aggarwal, Akash Misra(to name just a few) from last years organizing
team have all personally voiced to me that they would like to help out as
much as possible remotely in this regard. Not to mention the numerous of
volunteers who already voiced here on the mailing list that they would like
to help out. I along with the rest of them would like to raise our hands
and offer our assistance.

One of the basic understandings that we worked with last time was that even
though there is one person who is named as chair,
it's mostly the organizing committee that makes the decision by consensus
among them based on inputs from the community and feasibility.

*From the suggestions I got from personally talking to people it was
suggested we start from scratch re discussing the following questions with
input from community. *

1) Guidelines that make sure a enforceable code and conduct for::
      - Communication e-mail or otherwise
      - On code/issues on github
      - Every-one to be treated equally, noobs or veterans

 2) Make sure we have a strong local community that is ready and willing to
do the ground work.

 3) Revise the Conference scale, venue and sponsorship details based on
time and budget allocation.

 3) Discuss on roles and a start up with a reverse timeline for the
conference along with responsibilities.

 4) Conference structure: Some one suggested to look at euro python as a
structure, maybe we could look at other conferences and incorporate some
good feasible parts into this years PyCon.

 5) Communication medium, irc or Telegram or mailing list or Matrix....

 I think we should start individual threads to discuss all this, get these
threads sorted asap and start with the organising efforts for PyCon India.

 P.S. PyCon India is a community driven event, it is for and by the
community. The community spans all across "India". This would involve
collaboration from Python Communities all around India. Even from python
communities across the world.