[Inpycon] Reckoning time

Bibhas Ch Debnath me at bibhas.in
Fri Feb 23 04:54:58 EST 2018

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 9:53 AM, Noufal Ibrahim KV <noufal at nibrahim.net.in>
wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>       I think it's past time we made a decision about what to do. There
> have been a few emails about a lack of response and other such matters
> and things need to be sorted out.
>
>       Unless there are atleast 2 or 3 people willing to take the lead,
> the conference is not going to happen. Volunteers for the ground work
> and other such details are present and can be mobilised but there's no
> one at the helm. This needs to be fixed. If some of the people here
> who've worked on the conference have the time and inclination to get
> into the drivers seat, please chime in. Then, we can get the whole show
> back on the road.
>
>       We can discuss details about how large the conference should be
> and other details on the list but the first thing to decide is who
> should take the lead.

Agree with this. we can start with handful of people taking charge of
different large sections of the conf, and then go to deciding a chair if
it's at all needed. I can think of few large roles that are as less coupled
with each other as possible -

 0. Ticketing - Decide ticket price, get ticket sale up and running. Stay
in touch with other teams(editorial, venue, accounts) to manage pricing and
inventory.
 1. Sponsorship - we need a dedicated team here, people who have had
experience with sponsors are preferred because as I've learned from my
previous experience and how Vijay has shown, it's not an easy matter to
deal with sponsors.
 2. Venue - as we've already booked a venue, we need someone to get the
line of connection with them back up, and then keep in touch with them
throughout the event to keep track of deliverable and make sure things are
in place.
 3. Editorial - get CFP up and running and decide on talks. We need a team
here who has had experience in judging proposals and dealing with speakers,
and if we have speakers from out of town, keep track of what they need.
This includes keynote speakers as well. This team has a lot of work in
ensuring a good conference.
 4. Volunteer management - We need someone who's had experience dealing
with groups of volunteers. This group will make sure we have enough
volunteers for each group
 5. Accounts - Shree can probably help here and suggest how to handle the
funds
 6. Tech - Website, Social media. These are the easier moving parts, but
we'll need people who are good at writing and content for these roles
 7. Internet - We need a team here to talk to ISPs, figure out connections
at the venue, check inventory and buy things if needed
 8. Food - We need a team to find out food vendor, figure out pricing and
go food tasting before the event and make sure people are well fed

Some additional things I can think of -
 9. Childcare - it's good to have a childcare available so that parents can
also visit without worry.
10. COC - we need couple of dedicated people to enforce the code of conduct
and handle disputes if any arises. This team can intersect with any other
team.
11. Photographer - We need photographs of the events. Of course attendees
are encouraged to click photos themselves and share. But it'll be nice to
have a dedicated photographer if fund allows.

​These items are not sorted according to priority or importance. Each
section is equally important in ensuring a good conference. So we need
people who are dedicated and can spare time. This will take up a lot of
your time. And if you're chipping in, you need to be ready to see if
through the end.

We can also work on a conference guideline to make sure things get done
properly. Something like the one TEDx has -
https://www.ted.com/participate/organize-a-local-tedx-event/before-you-start/tedx-rules
We can modify it and come up with a set of guidelines that works for us.

And I would like to personally request all the community members who have
been supporting PyCon India for years, and have drifted apart for personal
or otherwise reasons, to try and come back and help organize this
conference. I'd like to see an even focused on quality, and not quantity.

And I'd also like to reach out to all the local Python user groups in India
to come and help. For most ground works, we'll need people who stay around
Bangalore. But volunteers from other cities are always welcome to help any
way they can.

My few opinions. Please add, comment and correct.​

>       Please reply to this thread and let's see where we can take this.
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> Cordially,
> Noufal