[Inpycon] Is PyCon India "really open"?

Sanyam Khurana sanyam.khurana01 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 13:21:10 EST 2018

Hey,

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 11:02 PM, Shashank Kumar
<shashankkumarkushwaha at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I've been volunteering for PyCon India for last 3 years. It has been
> amazing journey to work with Open Source projects.

I personally thank you for all the hard-work you've put in these years
for making PyCon India a success.

> I recently realized that that Python India community is working a bit
> differently than other FOSS groups/communities.

That is really strange.

> After years of hard-work in PyCon India, today I got my access removed
> from the repositories (Please note I didn't voluntarily gave up on it,
> neither I mis-behaved with anyone nor have I been inactive [0][1]). What
> I did was to simply review a PR. And I got this reply: [2]

This is really disheartening. I am really sorry that you've to face
this kind of thing. We really appreciate your help and all the efforts
that you've put in all those years.
It is really unfortunate to see that kind of comment in an Open Source
project. i hope that won't stop/halt you from contributing.

> Now this makes me really curious about the process of volunteering and
> being an open community.

Everyone is welcome to volunteer. I didn't know of any pre-requisites/
barriers to be *officially* contributing.

> Can someone please shed some light on the process? May be I'm not aware
> of it.

I will defer this to someone else, since right now I'm not very
actively involved in PyCon India 2018.

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 11:42 PM, Ankur Gupta <ankur0493 at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is really unfortunate. PyCon India is not about any local python group,
> and this is something that was outlined during PyCon India 2016 by the same
> person who has made this comment on the PR. Anyone who wants to volunteer is
> welcome (or at least this is how it is supposed to be).

Wow, that seems like *really ironic* to me.

--
Mozilla Rep
http://www.SanyamKhurana.com