[Inpycon] Is PyCon India "really open"?

Vanitha Shanmugam vani.pree at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 13:01:15 EST 2018

Hi All,

Sorry for top posting and also for the late response. Just wanted to share
some data.

PyCon India is a volunteer driven event and every contribution is a step
towards its success however big or small it is and I appreciate
realslimshanky's contribution.

IMO, the issue is more of less to do with the communication. Nobody here is
against any contribution. Lets just be clear that we all are working for
PyCon India in whatever way we can and none has any intention of
discouraging or stopping any from doing so.

A few stats below.
We, PyCon India volunteers plan publishing date for every blog in the
volunteers meeting as it has to go along with website update and other
things depending on the blog content. Minutes are shared in the mailing
list for all meetings conducted so far this year.

Earlier realslimshanky had merged 2 PRs ([0] and [1]) without keeping any
updated on the same. The blog [0] went live when we setup PyCon India 2018
website with basic content as the master branch was updated for this. Since
this went live well before our planned date unexpectedly when the other
required updates were not available on our website, it created chaos as
even the core volunteers were not aware of this PR merge.

That was the reason Vijay suggested him not to merge without having
complete info. His intention was not to discourage him from contributing
but to do it the right way with proper communication. We are just an email
away and it hardly takes a minute to pass on the info and keep everyone
updated. I agree that Vijay could have communicated that in a better way
and as he mentioned in one of the emails, we will make sure such things
will not be repeated.

Let us all keep this aside and work together to make PyCon India better;
after all, that is our goal.

[0] https://github.com/pythonindia/inpycon-blog/pull/110
[1] https://github.com/pythonindia/inpycon-blog/pull/112

Thanks,