[Inpycon] Is PyCon India "really open"?

Anuvrat Parashar anuvrat at anuvrat.in
Sat Jan 13 20:24:49 EST 2018

On Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 11:31 PM, Vanitha Shanmugam <vani.pree at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Sorry for top posting and also for the late response. Just wanted to share
> some data.
>
> PyCon India is a volunteer driven event and every contribution is a step
> towards its success however big or small it is and I appreciate
> realslimshanky's contribution.
>
> IMO, the issue is more of less to do with the communication. Nobody here
> is against any contribution. Lets just be clear that we all are working for
> PyCon India in whatever way we can and none has any intention of
> discouraging or stopping any from doing so.
>
> A few stats below.
> We, PyCon India volunteers plan publishing date for every blog in the
> volunteers meeting as it has to go along with website update and other
> things depending on the blog content. Minutes are shared in the mailing
> list for all meetings conducted so far this year.
>
> Earlier realslimshanky had merged 2 PRs ([0] and [1]) without keeping any
> updated on the same. The blog [0] went live when we setup PyCon India 2018
> website with basic content as the master branch was updated for this. Since
> this went live well before our planned date unexpectedly when the other
> required updates were not available on our website, it created chaos as
> even the core volunteers were not aware of this PR merge.

That is not what sparked the debate. There is a higher standard expected
from people who have built the community.

If blogs are getting updated because a pull request was merged, thats a
flaw in our process, of not having blogs flagged to be in draft mode.
Blaming realslimshanky for our shortcomings does not project a good image
of the community.

> That was the reason Vijay suggested him not to merge without having
> complete info. His intention was not to discourage him from contributing
> but to do it the right way with proper communication. We are just an email
> away and it hardly takes a minute to pass on the info and keep everyone
> updated. I agree that Vijay could have communicated that in a better way
> and as he mentioned in one of the emails, we will make sure such things
> will not be repeated.

Sadly despite the community's decision, he is speaking through you. Is he
too proud to apologise?
Does he want the community to grow, or does he want the community to grow
acknowledging him as its infallible overlord who can never commit any
mistake.

People like you and me would never have stayed in the community to have
this debate had someone kicked us in this way when we were just trying to
find our starting ground.

> Let us all keep this aside and work together to make PyCon India better;
> after all, that is our goal.

There wouldn't be any PyCon India for long if there is no next generation
to take the baton.
And if we shoo away valued members like Shashank with these curt remarks,
we will lose our valued members.

We either learn to be more welcoming to the newcomers and let them handle
more and more responsibility or be prepared for the community to die before
us.

What do we value more, people of the community or vijay being the
infallible overlord who is too proud to apologise?

#letCOMMNITYdecide

--
Anuvrat Parashar <http://anuvrat.in>
http://anuvrat.in