[Inpycon] Is PyCon India "really open"?

Vanitha Shanmugam vani.pree at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 03:03:21 EST 2018

Hi Bibhas,

On 13 January 2018 at 23:41, Bibhas Ch Debnath <me at bibhas.in> wrote:

> Hi Vanitha,
>
> On Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 11:31 PM, Vanitha Shanmugam <vani.pree at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Sorry for top posting and also for the late response. Just wanted to
>> share some data.
>>
>> PyCon India is a volunteer driven event and every contribution is a step
>> towards its success however big or small it is and I appreciate
>> realslimshanky's contribution.
>>
>> IMO, the issue is more of less to do with the communication. Nobody here
>> is against any contribution. Lets just be clear that we all are working for
>> PyCon India in whatever way we can and none has any intention of
>> discouraging or stopping any from doing so.
>>
>> A few stats below.
>> We, PyCon India volunteers plan publishing date for every blog in the
>> volunteers meeting as it has to go along with website update and other
>> things depending on the blog content. Minutes are shared in the mailing
>> list for all meetings conducted so far this year.
>>
>> Earlier realslimshanky had merged 2 PRs ([0] and [1]) without keeping any
>> updated on the same. The blog [0] went live when we setup PyCon India 2018
>> website with basic content as the master branch was updated for this. Since
>> this went live well before our planned date unexpectedly when the other
>> required updates were not available on our website, it created chaos as
>> even the core volunteers were not aware of this PR merge.
>>
>> That was the reason Vijay suggested him not to merge without having
>> complete info. His intention was not to discourage him from contributing
>> but to do it the right way with proper communication. We are just an email
>> away and it hardly takes a minute to pass on the info and keep everyone
>> updated. I agree that Vijay could have communicated that in a better way
>> and as he mentioned in one of the emails, we will make sure such things
>> will not be repeated.
>>

> ​I wish Vijay had said this instead of you.
>
> It's almost 90 mails long thread. And yet he refused to show any kind of
> understanding towards what anyone in this thread said.
>
> And as pointed out, the proper way of communication in this case were not
> proper at all. There were no issue on the repo where these conversations
> happened. And even in those 2 PRs you mentioned, there is absolutely no
> comment from the "core team" that mentions what went wrong. There is
> absolutely no clue about the "chaos" anywhere in the mailing list on the
> repo.

We did not inform Shashank neither anyone else as that was the initial
stage and we could manage. Since PyCon India announcement were not made
public then and the traffic to our website was moderate, we did not think
that it was necessary to keep track each and everything in the repo. With
any volunteering effort, you make phone calls or follow other means of
communication which is faster when such things happen. I agree we could
have communicated this to Shashank to avoid this, and it was our mistake.

I hope you understand.