[Inpycon] Is PyCon India "really open"?

Anuvrat Parashar anuvrat at anuvrat.in
Sun Jan 14 11:05:04 EST 2018

On Sun, Jan 14, 2018 at 2:23 PM, Vanitha Shanmugam <vani.pree at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Anuvrat,
>
> On 14 January 2018 at 06:54, Anuvrat Parashar <anuvrat at anuvrat.in> wrote:
>

>> On Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 11:31 PM, Vanitha Shanmugam <vani.pree at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Sorry for top posting and also for the late response. Just wanted to
>>> share some data.
>>>
>>> PyCon India is a volunteer driven event and every contribution is a step
>>> towards its success however big or small it is and I appreciate
>>> realslimshanky's contribution.
>>>
>>> IMO, the issue is more of less to do with the communication. Nobody here
>>> is against any contribution. Lets just be clear that we all are working for
>>> PyCon India in whatever way we can and none has any intention of
>>> discouraging or stopping any from doing so.
>>>
>>> A few stats below.
>>> We, PyCon India volunteers plan publishing date for every blog in the
>>> volunteers meeting as it has to go along with website update and other
>>> things depending on the blog content. Minutes are shared in the mailing
>>> list for all meetings conducted so far this year.
>>>
>>> Earlier realslimshanky had merged 2 PRs ([0] and [1]) without keeping
>>> any updated on the same. The blog [0] went live when we setup PyCon India
>>> 2018 website with basic content as the master branch was updated for this.
>>> Since this went live well before our planned date unexpectedly when the
>>> other required updates were not available on our website, it created chaos
>>> as even the core volunteers were not aware of this PR merge.
>>>

>> That is not what sparked the debate. There is a higher standard expected
>> from people who have built the community.
>>
>> If blogs are getting updated because a pull request was merged, thats a
>> flaw in our process, of not having blogs flagged to be in draft mode.
>> Blaming realslimshanky for our shortcomings does not project a good image
>> of the community.
>>

> Just to make it clear, I did not blame any. In fact, we did not even
> communicate it to realslimshanky on the chaos the merge was created since
> it was the early stage. I agree there are ways to handle this. Still it is
> always a good practice to wait for at least a couple of reviews and
> approves before merging considering the pace we work with PyCon India
> website.

No issues there.

>>> That was the reason Vijay suggested him not to merge without having
>>> complete info. His intention was not to discourage him from contributing
>>> but to do it the right way with proper communication. We are just an email
>>> away and it hardly takes a minute to pass on the info and keep everyone
>>> updated. I agree that Vijay could have communicated that in a better way
>>> and as he mentioned in one of the emails, we will make sure such things
>>> will not be repeated.
>>>

>> Sadly despite the community's decision, he is speaking through you. Is he
>> too proud to apologise?
>>

> What makes you think that someone else was speaking through me?

timing, content and past incidents.

> You think I cannot write a mail on my own or do not have rights to clarify
> things here?

Yes and Yes.

> I request you to not assume things, respect my opinions

I apologize. Won't happen again.

> and not infer things on your own.

Can't promise not to.

>> Does he want the community to grow, or does he want the community to grow
>> acknowledging him as its infallible overlord who can never commit any
>> mistake.
>>

> Vijay is part of this community and has helped grow this community as
> well. I don't think anybody will deny that.

Indeed, and I do not dispute that either.

He accepted that it was his mistake to communicate the way he did. But all
> you want is a formal apology and no other words can match that.

Err, not quite. Not a formal apology. but a sincere one.

And words can never match it, actions do.

>> People like you and me would never have stayed in the community to have
>> this debate had someone kicked us in this way when we were just trying to
>> find our starting ground.
>>

>>> Let us all keep this aside and work together to make PyCon India better;
>>> after all, that is our goal.
>>>

>> There wouldn't be any PyCon India for long if there is no next generation
>> to take the baton.
>> And if we shoo away valued members like Shashank with these curt remarks,
>> we will lose our valued members.
>>

> Just to reiterate, nobody was shooed away. It was just a mis-communication.

Surely, revoking rights is not just miscommunication, it is action with
prejudice.

> In all this discussion its PyCon India which is getting impacted.

Agreed, discussions are hindering 2018 edition.

But if we do not address these issues today, they will cripple the
community and adversely effect many future editions to come.

Peace.
--
Anuvrat Parashar <http://anuvrat.in>
http://anuvrat.in