[Inpycon] PyCon India Workgroups

Anand Chitipothu anandology at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 12:21:49 EST 2018

On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 10:29 AM, Anand Chitipothu <anandology at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 11:46 AM, Sreekanth S Rameshaiah <sree at mahiti.org>
> wrote:
> [...]
>
>> This sounds interesting. I went through the link but could not get enough
>> info about how these independent workgroups coordinate. How are these
>> workgroups anchored together to make the event a success? How does
>> EuroPython do this?
>>

> Wrote to someone I know at EuroPython asking for more details. I'll update
> once hear back.

I wrote to Alexader Hendorf  at EuroPython asking for some inputs about
EuroPython Workgroups and here is I received:

---
On 1. Mar 2018, 05:58 +0100, Anand Chitipothu <anandology at gmail.com>, wrote:

Hi Alexander,

We at PyCon India are trying to from permanent workgroups just like Euro
Python. I'm leading that effort and would like to learn more about how
these things are managed at EuroPython. Here are some of the specific
questions I have:

Happy to help/share insights

- How do you select people for each workgroup?

We'll we try to find out who serious they are. E.g. many people want to
join the program WG.
So we try to find out if they are really willing to work. We did have
problems with large workgroups in the past with only few people working.

 - What are the roles in each workgroup?

We have one or two chairs in a WG, I'd say the chairs is kind of project
manager. The chair person checks deadlines and tries to distribute the work
load within the group.
Most of the times the chairs is also a member of the EP board.

 - How do people interact and communicate in each workgroup? Are there any
common guidelines followed by all workgroups?

Yes, we try to use only few tools. Email and telegram for communication,
Google docs/sheets and sometimes Trello. Yes, we try to use all the same
tools for all WG to minimise set-up time. If there is a good reason a WG
still can use a tool it favours/helps getting stuff done.

 - How will these workgroups coordinate with EuroPython Society and the
organizers of the conference

The board members are all in WS, mostly chairs even - so we have short
communication ways and the chair have always a big picture what's going on
in the conference organisation.

- Will there be any interactions between different workgroups? if so how
are they mananged?

Of course they are - most of the times people just work on common stuff. We
don't have any formal rules for inter-WG-communication.

 - How is the division of work/responsibility between EuroPython Society
and organizers (chair, co-chair) of the conference?

The board is basically a board of organisers. We don't have a conference
chair - the closest would be the chair of EPS.

Are there any other things that we should be worried about? If you think
someone else at EuroPython might be able to help me better, please put me
in touch with them.

The main problems are:
- finding reliable volunteers
- someone just stops working (without telling the others)
- timing and deadlines

I hope this will help. Feel free to ping me if you have any more questions.

---

Not that we need to follow this literally, but I guess these are good
guidelines. What do you say?